2 problems of my postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From zenith siea
Subject 2 problems of my postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
see my operations first:
[root@jhxz postgresql-8.0.8]# su postgres
bash-2.05b$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
initdb: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open
bash-2.05b$ service postgresql status
postmaster stopped
bash-2.05b$ service postgresql start

An old version of the database format was found.
You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.8/README.rpm-dist for more information.
bash-2.05b$

Question 1:
error in initting my pgsq database, libssl.so.4, what is it? what shall i do?

Question 2:
the old version of database format, i have deleted old
database"/usr/local/pgsql/data",
but why do pgsq complain about it?
there are no database in my pgsq now and no database can be updated.
I have looked into the file
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.8/README.rpm-dist
and found nothing about this quesiton, is it this file the right manual?
what should i do?