Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/17/2014 06:40 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 08:48:24PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:
>>> But there's something here that I'm not getting - you're talking
>>> about a data set that you want ot keep cache resident that is at
>>> least an order of magnitude larger than the cyclic 5-15 minute WAL
>>> dataset that ongoing operations need to manage to avoid IO storms.
>>> Where do these temporary files fit into this picture, how fast do
>>> they grow and why are do they need to be so large in comparison to
>>> the ongoing modifications being made to the database?
> [ snip ]
>
>> Temp files are something else again.  If PostgreSQL needs to sort a
>> small amount of data, like a kilobyte, it'll use quicksort.  But if it
>> needs to sort a large amount of data, like a terabyte, it'll use a
>> merge sort.[1]
> IOWs the temp files contain data that requires transformation as
> part of a query operation. So, temp file size is bound by the
> dataset,
Basically yes, though the size of the "dataset" can be orders of
magnitude bigger than the database in case of some queries.
> growth determined by data retreival and transformation
> rate.
>
> IOWs, there are two very different IO and caching requirements in
> play here and tuning the kernel for one actively degrades the
> performance of the other. Right, got it now.
Yes. A step in right solutions would be some way to tune this
on per-device basis, but as large part of this in linux seems
to be driven from the keeping-vm-clean side it guess it will
be far from simple.

--
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Consultant