Re: How to list current user and database in PSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to list current user and database in PSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/31/2013 10:55 AM, peterlen wrote:
> After logging into the PSQL Shell Script as a particular user and database, I
> want to display who my current user is and what database I am in as I may
> have forgotten who I am logged in as in order to make sure any commands are
> going to the right place.  In Oracle's SQLPlus you can do something like
> "show user" and get feedback on the user you are logged in as.  Is there an
> equivalent thing for PSQL to list the user and database?

test=> select current_user;
  current_user
--------------
  aklaver
(1 row)

test=> select current_database();
  current_database
  test

Or you can change the psql prompt to display the information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-psql.html

Search for:

"Prompting"

Details the variables available

"Files"

Explains how to persist this information in a psqlrc file.