Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date
Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces  (Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh@sproutloud.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 12/19/2013 1:06 PM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
> It's easier to keep things segregated. It is not anymore different
> than doing the upgrade in the same jail. Which at the end of the day
> you are doing the upgrade in the same jail, because at the end of the
> day pg_upgrade just needs the old data an binary to start and create
> some dump files.

pg_upgrade needs to access the old data AND all the tablespaces at the
same paths as the old server sees them AND the new data and tablespaces
at the same path as the NEW server sees them.   if the two servers are
in different jails, I don't see how you could make that work... if you
run pg_upgrade in the host system, then all the paths are different for
both sets of data and tablespaces.