Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I agree that the lack of a fixed version designation is unsatisfactory.
> I'm not sure whether that is actually necessary, though.  If PostgreSQL
> doesn't work on some machine, then that's a problem anyway.

The buildfarm script already seems to record various info such as
"uname" output on-the-fly.  If we could get it to record compiler
version ("gcc -v" is easy, but equivalent incantations for vendor
compilers might be harder to find) and a few other facts on-the-fly,
I think the instability of the platforms might not be that big a deal.

In practice, it seems that only Linux-based distros have bought into
this idea that bleeding-edge tools are a good thing, so solutions that
work only on Linux may be sufficient.