Re: additional json functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: additional json functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/17/2013 04:51 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
>> You know that both types support scalar values right? 'a'::JSON works now,
>> and 'a'::hstore works with the WIP patch. For that reason I would not think
>> that "doc" or "obj" would be good choices.
> I'm wondering about just pushing hstore in core (even if technically
> still an extension, install it by default, like we do for PLpgSQL), and
> calling it a day.

That would be one of the silliest and most short-sighted decisions we
have made in many years, IMNSHO. The demand for strong JSON support is
enormous. I don't think I have ever received as many positive comments
on any other feature I have worked on in the last 9 years. What these
people want is not something jsonish, they want json, pure and simple.
And they want it fast and featured and efficient.

Much as I love hstore, it isn't json, and so it won't satisfy that demand.

cheers

andrew