Re: regclass error reports improperly downcased - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: regclass error reports improperly downcased
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/7/13 6:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <jnasby@enova.com> writes:
>> decibel@decina.cashnetusa=# SELECT 'Moo'::regclass;
>> ERROR:  relation "moo" does not exist at character 8
>
> That's doing what it's supposed to.  Compare
>
> regression=# select 'Moo'::regclass;
> ERROR:  relation "moo" does not exist
> LINE 1: select 'Moo'::regclass;
>                 ^
> regression=# select '"Moo"'::regclass;
> ERROR:  relation "Moo" does not exist
> LINE 1: select '"Moo"'::regclass;
>                 ^
>
> The regclass input converter applies the same case-folding rules as
> the SQL parser does, ie, fold unless double-quoted.

Ahh, duh. Hrm... I ran across this because someone here got confused by this:

SELECT pg_total_relation_size( schema_name || '.' || relname ) FROM pg_stat_all_tables
ERROR: relation "moo" does not exist

Obviously the problem is that they needed to use quote_ident(), but I was hoping to make the error less confusing to
dealwith.

Perhaps we can add a hint? Something to the effect of "Do you need to use double-quotes or quote_ident()?"
--
Jim Nasby, Lead Data Architect   (512) 569-9461