Re: Something fishy happening on frogmouth - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Something fishy happening on frogmouth
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01.11.2013 18:22, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 12:27:31AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. initdb -D data1
>>> 2. initdb -D data2
>>> 3. postgres -D data1
>>> 4. killall -9 postgres
>>> 5. postgres -D data2
>>>
>>> The system V shmem segment orphaned at step 4 will be cleaned up at step 5.
>>> The DSM segment will not.
>
> Note that dynamic_shared_memory_type='mmap' will give the desired behavior.

Hmm, here's another idea:

Postmaster creates the POSIX shared memory object at startup, by calling
shm_open(), and immediately calls shm_unlink on it. That way, once all
the processes have exited, the object will be removed automatically.
Child processes inherit the file descriptor at fork(), and don't need to
call shm_open, just mmap().

I'm not sure how dynamic these segments need to be, but if 1-2 such file
descriptors is not enough, you could mmap() different offsets from the
same shmem object for different segments.

- Heikki