Re: Something fishy happening on frogmouth - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Something fishy happening on frogmouth
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-04 10:27:47 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 01.11.2013 18:22, Noah Misch wrote:

> >Note that dynamic_shared_memory_type='mmap' will give the desired behavior.

Well, with the significant price of causing file-io.

> Hmm, here's another idea:
>
> Postmaster creates the POSIX shared memory object at startup, by calling
> shm_open(), and immediately calls shm_unlink on it. That way, once all the
> processes have exited, the object will be removed automatically. Child
> processes inherit the file descriptor at fork(), and don't need to call
> shm_open, just mmap().

Uh. Won't that completely and utterly remove the point of dsm which is
that you can create segments *after* startup? We surely don't want to
start overallocating enough shmem so we don't ever dynamically need to
allocate segments.
Also, I don't think it's portable across platforms to access segments
that already have been unlinked.

I think this is looking for a solution without an actually relevant
problem disregarding the actual problem space.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services