Re: .cvsignore update... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: .cvsignore update...
Date
List pgsql-patches
>> If you like to live dangerously and not make distclean before you cvs
>> update, then use a vpath build (separate build tree).  There's no reason
>> to have to maintain a large set of .cvsignore files.

> How does one do a vpatch build?  (I live dangerously)

Say your CVS checkout is in ~/pgsql, and you make a build directory
at ~/build.  You go
    cd ~/build
    ../pgsql/configure [args as usual]
    make
    make install
    ...etc...

This touches no files under ~/pgsql, except for possibly updating the
architecture-independent derived files (gram.c and so forth).  The
original intent of the feature, I think, was to simplify building for
multiple architectures.

            regards, tom lane