Re: Relocatable locale - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Relocatable locale
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The problem boils down to the fact that libpq needs to find its data
>> files (in this case locale data, but it could be anything), but it
>> doesn't know its own location, so it can't use a relative path
>> reference as has been proposed.

> I am wondering if we should use environment variables, and have our apps
> use putenv() to set it to the proper relative path.

*Our* apps are not the problem.  The problem comes when libpq is
embedded in somebody else's app --- which is not going to be that
cooperative, and would have no good way to know what path to supply
if it did want to be cooperative.

I can't say I care for the environment variable idea either; though
there may not be any better alternative.

            regards, tom lane