Re: Building with MinGW issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Building with MinGW issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/28/2013 10:09 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 10:57 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Did you try the override method shown in this message?:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com
>

> I found it very comlicated and made things worst (I got ton of errors)!!!
>
> BTW, I wonder why Postgresql guys doesn't care about open source
> compilers like other projects; they're part of open source community why
> they support commercial compilers and drop the open source!!!

I am not sure what you mean, I compile my Postgres instances from source
using GCC on a regular basis. Now if you are talking to about the
precompiled binaries that is up to folks compiling the source, in this
case EnterpriseDB. They do that as a service to the community and from
all accounts it has greatly aided the use of Postgres on Windows. They
have forums you could bring this up on and make the case for MinGW. Your
particular issue seems to be the intersection of three things MinGW,
Windows, and Postgres. MinGW is basically bringing a subset of Unix to
Windows and that accounted for your first problem, finding the correct
path. The second problem seems to a disagreement between MinGW and
Postgres on what struct stat is. You have raised the issue which is
good, but you might, as previously suggested, also raise it with the
MinGW developers/community. They may already have a solution that this
list is unaware of. In the end open source is about the people in it
working towards solutions. You can make your wish of improved support
for MinGW  come true by helping in finding the answers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com