Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 temp files never released? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 temp files never released?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/28/2013 11:30 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
> Em 28/09/2013 15:22, Adrian Klaver escreveu:
>> On 09/28/2013 11:16 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
>>> I've a 12Gb database running without problems in Linux Centos 64bit for
>>> years now.
>>> Looking database statistics (in pgAdmin III), I can see that there are
>>> 366 temporary files, and they sum up 11,863,839,867 bytes in size.
>>
>> What are the temp files named and where are they located?
>
> Sorry if this sounds silly, but how can I discover this information?

Assuming pgAdmin is using  pg_stat_database then:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/storage-file-layout.html

"Temporary files (for operations such as sorting more data than can fit
in memory) are created within PGDATA/base/pgsql_tmp, or within a
pgsql_tmp subdirectory of a tablespace directory if a tablespace other
than pg_default is specified for them. The name of a temporary file has
the form pgsql_tmpPPP.NNN, where PPP is the PID of the owning backend
and NNN distinguishes different temporary files of that backend."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com