Re: Creating Primary Key after CREATE TABLE: Is Sequence created? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Creating Primary Key after CREATE TABLE: Is Sequence created?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/27/2013 01:16 PM, Monosij wrote:
> Ok I understand about not programming to LCD.
>
> I just initially wanted to play around with creating tables / indexes / fks
> and import some data before moving to next steps.
>
> I did want to have some control over namimg conventions.
>
> For eg. with creating PK id and sequence with 1 statement as:
> id serial primary key
> I have a vague idea how the primary key and sequence was named but no
> control on it.
>
> However if I could control the naming convention from here I would be ok
> with it.
>
> Would there be a way to control the naming of the id and sequence from the
> create table statement?

Using serial, remembering that serial is basically a macro that does
what is shown here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL

Name your table and id column to get the desired sequence name.

Otherwise do as shown in the expanded example in the link above and wrap
multiple statements in a transaction and create the sequence and id as
you want.