Re: Trying to create DB / user to import some data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Trying to create DB / user to import some data
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/27/2013 09:26 AM, mdr wrote:
> Hi Steven -
>
> Thanks. Worked great. I assumed it would assume the dbname to be
> import_dbms_db as import_dbms_user was granted admin privileges on it.

User names are global to a Postgres cluster, they can be used for any
database in that cluster.

> Also I do have import_dbms_user and import_dbms_db in my pg_hba.conf as:
> local import_dbms_db import_dbms_user md5
>
> I still need that - correct? And I will need to have another entry
> specifying the ip addr of the machine to connect from if I am connecting
> from a different machine?

Yes. I would suggest some time looking at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

The line you showed previously:

local import_dbms_db import_dbms_user md5

will only work for local connections.

To connect from a different machine you will need a host line.

> So to connect from Python scripts (using psycopg2) do I need to specify the
> database to connect to as well?

Yes.

> And if that python script is running from a different machine the ip addr of
> that machine needs to be in the pg_hba.conf?

Yes.