Re: Partitioning V schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julian
Subject Re: Partitioning V schema
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Dave,
How many rows of data are we talking here and how much information? (GiB)

Are you able to provide the table definition? (can normalisation
partition off some of this data?).

Have you addressed dedicated options for lookup data, tune the database
appropriately and keep that single table?

With postgres we have schemas, so it can provide some convenience and
design options.

So look at it in terms how your query will look.

SELECT schema.table.column FROM schema.table;

vs

SELECT schema_table.column FROM schema_table;

Not much in it?

However, I tend to go with partitions when required to be generated on
demand dynamically and automatically (which probably isn't the case
here). SCHEMAs have other uses, provide a level of security (GRANT) and
useful in design when partitioning off blocks of related datasets
completely.

Regards,
Julian