Re: Why does this array query fail? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Why does this array query fail?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ken Tanzer wrote

>> Is this a quarterly report because that is how long it takes to run?
>

> It takes about 7 seconds to run.  I suppose if I optimized it I could save
> a minute every couple of years.

Was meant to be tongue-in-cheek...though I was curious on the real
answer...agree on optimize when necessary.

> On a smaller scale I've written queries like this.  I enrolled in a
>> university database design course shortly thereafter...
>
> until someone more knowledgeable (like a future you probably) comes back
> and
>
> I'm not sure what the point of either of these comments were, but perhaps
> they made you feel better.  Either way, thanks for taking the time to look
> my stuff over and for the other comments and explanations you made.
>
> Ken

Mostly that SQL, and regular expressions - which I use a lot too, tend to
result in stuff that makes perfect sense as you build it up from scratch but
if you have to come back and modify it later its very difficult to makes
changes as opposed to building up a new query with the new needs and
experience.

David J.