Re: News links, post 'em here - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: News links, post 'em here
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> I am not saying there is. I was honestly submitting it to the wider
> community for discussion. I note however that you didn't comment on the
> second one which is actually more sketchy than the first.

How is it any different from:

"PostgreSQL 9.3 provides features that as an app developer I can use
immediately:
better JSON functionality, regular expression indexing, and easily
federating
databases with the Postgres foreign data wrapper. I have no idea how I
completed
projects without 9.3," said Jonathan S. Katz, CTO of VenueBook.

... which is *in* the press release?

I guess I really can't find the issue here.  Reps of companies saying
good things about PostgreSQL is pretty much an unalloyed good --
regardless of whether or not they toot their own horn alongside.

It would be something different if JPA was claiming credit for features
he didn't work on.  But he's not (and I'd suspect Google translate first
if it even *looked* like he were, because that's not a JPA-like thing to
do).  And for that matter, people who work for support companies *did*
work on features for 9.3, and if they want to trumpet their own role in
those features, that's fine too.

Contributing to PostgreSQL for companies is a symbiotic relationship;
the project gets features and resources, and the companies get stuff
too: a better database, open source cred, and PR.  Without that
symbiosis, PostgreSQL goes back to being a hobby project.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.