Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy
Date
Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> On further reflection, what the "policy" was actually about was not that
> we should forbid users from creating potentially-confusing aggregates
> themselves, but only that we'd avoid having any *built in* aggregates with
> this hazard.  So maybe I'm overthinking this, and the correct reading is
> just that we should have a policy against built-in variadic aggregates.

Yes.  I think we can assume that anyone smart enough to create a
variadic aggregate is smart enough to put ORDER BY in the right place.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.