Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/29/2013 05:37 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
>> On further reflection, what the "policy" was actually about was not that
>> we should forbid users from creating potentially-confusing aggregates
>> themselves, but only that we'd avoid having any *built in* aggregates with
>> this hazard.  So maybe I'm overthinking this, and the correct reading is
>> just that we should have a policy against built-in variadic aggregates.
> Yes.  I think we can assume that anyone smart enough to create a
> variadic aggregate is smart enough to put ORDER BY in the right place.

It's not the creator who is in danger, though, it's the user of the
aggregate function, AIUI. So unless you're saying that anyone smart
enough to use a variadic aggregate can be assumed to be smart enough to
put ORDER BY in the right place, I don't think this argument holds.

cheers

andrew