Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/20/13 2:53 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2013/8/20 David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com>
>> I am passing the values returned from a CTE to a call to pg_notify(). I do
>> not care to collect the output of pg_notify(), which returns VOID.
>>

> it is little bit different issue - PL/pgSQL doesn't check if returned type
> is VOID - it can be allowed, I am thinking. So check of empty result can be
> enhanced.

That still doesn't help at all in the case where the function returns
something, but you simply don't care about the result.

That said, I don't think this issue is big enough to start radically
changing how SELECT without INTO works -- you can always get around this
limitation by SELECTing into a variable, as David mentioned in his
original message.  It's annoying, but it works.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja