Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/20/2013 02:03 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/19/2013 09:23 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, it's a big nail in the coffin for SRFs-in-targetlist. Having
>> WITH ORDINALITY and this feature, I would vote for removing
>> SRF-in-targetlist and call the release PostgreSQL 10.0.
>
> That's not realistic.   We'd have to deprecate that syntax and
> repeatedly and loudly warn people about it for at least 3 years after
> the release of 9.3.   You're talking about asking people to refactor
> hundreds or thousands of lines of code which makes current use of things
> like regex_match() in the target list.

Agreed. Even three years is optimistic; after that long it could
probably be made into an ERROR by default with a backward-compat GUC,
but certainly not removed.

I'm still running into people running 8.2 and having issues upgrading
due to the 8.3 removal of implicit casts from text, and even the removal
of add_missing_from .

If we want people to upgrade this century it's worth minimising the
amount of unnecessary breakage. SRF-in-SELECT might be ugly, but simply
ripping it out certainly counts as unnecessary breakage.