Re: BUG #16951: pg_restore segfaults on custom format piped from a different version of PG - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sergey KOPOSOV
Subject Re: BUG #16951: pg_restore segfaults on custom format piped from a different version of PG
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 23:52 +0100, Sergey Koposov wrote:
> > This email was sent to you by someone outside the University.
> > You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that the email is genuine and the content is
safe.

> > Sergey KOPOSOV <Sergey.Koposov@ed.ac.uk> writes:
> > > I also noticed when I tried to run pg_restore in the debugger the crash doesn't happen.
> > > but it does if I pipe it...
> >
> > I wonder if your platform is helpfully inserting Windows newlines,
> > or perhaps removing them, when the data goes through a pipe.
>
> The platform doing the pg_dump (PG12) is debian
> And the one doing pg_restore (PG10) is ubuntu.
>
> Also I know for sure when I use pg_restore from postgresql 12 it works fine in the same configuration.
> (And I've regularly transferred tables this way from one system to another, it's just I've recently
> migrated the debian system from PG11 to PG12 which lead to this segfault.)

I've just verified that on a different machine ubuntu 18.04 I can crash pg_restore with the file that I've sent to the
list.
Importantly This requires running pg_restore without '-Fc' flag, i.e. to let it autodetect.

$ cat /tmp/xx1.short | ./src/bin/pg_dump/pg_restore
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$ cat /tmp/xx1.short | ./src/bin/pg_dump/pg_restore  -Fc
pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.14) in file header

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e
buidheanncarthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.