Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/1/13 10:47 AM, David Johnston wrote:
> Minor request: could someone enlighten me as to why making the directory
> location a compile-time option is undesirable.

The ongoing argument here is whether to allow moving the directory at
all, or to make it fixed to $PGDATA the way recovery.conf is.  If you
accept that it should float, then it actually needs to be a start time
option.  Software like Debian moves around the postgresql.conf like this:

pg_ctl -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf ...

The way this argument is going the last few days, I'm starting to think
that it's worth breaking this style of config directory setup out into
its own feature now.

Whether or not ALTER SYSTEM SET takes advantage of the config directory
or not seems a still raging question.  I've been coupling the two
together because I think the design of ALTER SYSTEM SET should consider
a config directory based approach.  But from the perspective of what can
get committed first, the config directory really should go first.