Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Minor request: could someone enlighten me as to why making the directory
location a compile-time option is undesirable.  Packagers then can setup
whatever structure they desire when they compile their distributions.  In
which case the discussion becomes what is a reasonable default and that can
be made with respect of other defaults that are in place for people that
would self-compile.

I get the "supporting users - telling them where to go to find these files"
aspect but I believe that ship has already sailed.  The goal should be to
make it as easy as possible to allow distributions and/or individual users
to integrate PostgreSQL into their normal routine as possible.  It isn't
like we are adding unneeded complexity since it is obvious from the
discussion that where files/directories are placed in the file system is a
major variable.  Enforcing $PGDATA when we know Debian is going to be upset
doesn't seem to be that great an idea - it isn't like we are going to
suddenly make them realize they have been doing things incorrectly all this
time.  I am not familiar with all of the configurations but I do recall that
the location of postgres.conf and related files is already distribution
specific so why shouldn't these extensions be as well?

Sorry if this was discussed previously; I'll go look deeper in the thread if
someone confirms that indeed it is.

David J.