installer woes, 9.1 on windows 2008 R2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject installer woes, 9.1 on windows 2008 R2
Date
List pgsql-general
trying to install 9.1.9 64bit on a win2008 r2 server and getting a failure of the initdb phase, with no clue why.

I've installed the application on C:\postgresql\9.1\  and the data on D:\postgresql\9.1\data  ... after the first try, I added the LOCAL\postgres user to the permissions on the D:\postgresql\9.1 directory and gave it full control, this propagated to the .\data dir too, then I tried running the installer again (since there's no clues how to manually invoke the initdb process properly).   same error, no clues.

'problem running post-install step. ....
The database cluster initialization failed'.

is there an installation log somewhere?  I haven't found it in either \postgresql\ path.

if it matters, this server is a member of the corporate active directory, as is my user account that I ran the installer from (but said user account is a member o the local Administrators, and the PG installer invoked the privilege elevation thing when it started)