Re: How to modify dump files created by pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: How to modify dump files created by pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/06/2013 09:44, 任洪彩 wrote:
> Hi, guys
>
> I have met a problem that do confused me.
>
> I created a dump file by pg_dump from database named "DBRNWHSB" with
> parameters -b -o -Fc -Z 0.
> As you know, at the beginning of the dump file contains some SQL
> statements for create the database "DBRNWHSB".
>
> So here comes the question, I want let these SQL statements to create
> another database, e.g. named "myDB". In that case, when restore the dump
> i can restore the modified dump file with "-C" that "myDB" can be founded.
>
> I have tried to modify the dump file manually. But the dump file may
> caused invalid.
>
> # /opt/nokiasiemens/SS_Postgres/bin/pg_restore -C -h CFPU-0 -p 5433 -U
> _qnrnwdbman -d template1 -e -v /root/horen/rnwdump/DBRNWHSB.pgdump
> pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
> pg_restore: implied data-only restore
>
> I wonder is there any way to modify the dump file after create or i can
> specify the database name when dump?

I think you're asking for trouble trying to modify the dump file manually.

If I understand, you want to restore into a database with a different
name to the original one, is that correct? If so, then simply create the
database manually, then restore into it with the -d option:

  pg_restore -d <my-other-database> <dump-file>

HTH,

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland