Re: BUG #8172: entering the hostname in the address column in pg_hba.conf doesn't work as it should - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: BUG #8172: entering the hostname in the address column in pg_hba.conf doesn't work as it should
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 5/21/13 3:41 AM, tudorbarascu@yahoo.com wrote:
> In pg_hba.conf I have the following setup:
> host    all     all     laptop          md5
>
> Although the hostname gets resolved by the system (LAN DNS server) I still
> get the no pg_hba.conf entry error.

Check that the following works:

$ host laptop
$ host x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the IP address that the first command printed.  Those
need to match.

I suspect that you need to write a fully-qualified domain name in
pg_hba.conf, and you need to set up the reverse DNS.