Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
Date
Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
List pgsql-admin
On 6/19/20 4:12 AM, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
> thank you,   I tried that too, remove the quote around the echo and it
> prompt for password, as I mentioned no matter I put -P mypassword no
> matter what I spell out password=mypassword still argument error

Once again -P has nothing to do with password. Also --password does not
take an argument, it is meant to be used as is. The purpose is to force
a password prompt. This is all spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html

Also spelled out in above is:

" It is also convenient to have a ~/.pgpass file to avoid regularly
having to type in passwords. See Section 33.15 for more information."

And Section 33.15:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-pgpass.html

"The file .pgpass in a user's home directory can contain passwords to be
used if the connection requires a password (and no password has been
specified otherwise).  ..."

Read more at link for how to do that.

--
Adrian Klaver