Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Pepe TD Vo
Subject Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
Date
Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
List pgsql-admin
Thank you sir and I am sorry for the typo not having "--" on password.  I did spelling out with --password=mypassword

>> echo select count(*) from tableA; | "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql" -U PSmasteruser -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 --password=mypassword

even -W for password
>> echo select count(*) from tableA; | "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql" -U PSmasteruser -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 -W=mypassword

none of them work, still prompt me for password to type in.  I will look into the pgpassfile which I know it will fail again.

very respectfully,

Bach-Nga

No one in this world is pure and perfect.  If you avoid people for their mistakes you will be alone. So judge less, love, and forgive more.EmojiEmojiEmoji
To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice though in as much as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman (Hermione Gingold)

**Live simply **Love generously **Care deeply **Speak kindly.
*** Genuinely rich *** Faithful talent *** Sharing success

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 09:19:35 AM EDT, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 6/19/20 4:12 AM, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
> thank you,   I tried that too, remove the quote around the echo and it
> prompt for password, as I mentioned no matter I put -P mypassword no
> matter what I spell out password=mypassword still argument error

Once again -P has nothing to do with password. Also --password does not
take an argument, it is meant to be used as is. The purpose is to force
a password prompt. This is all spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html

Also spelled out in above is:

" It is also convenient to have a ~/.pgpass file to avoid regularly
having to type in passwords. See Section 33.15 for more information."

And Section 33.15:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-pgpass.html

"The file .pgpass in a user's home directory can contain passwords to be
used if the connection requires a password (and no password has been
specified otherwise).  ..."

Read more at link for how to do that.

--
Adrian Klaver