Re: request a new feature in fuzzystrmatch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Liming Hu
Subject Re: request a new feature in fuzzystrmatch
Date
Re: request a new feature in fuzzystrmatch  (Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Atri,

Thanks for the quick response.

levenshtein edit distance defines operations of: insertion, deletion, modification.
Levenshtein-Damerau edit distance defines operations of:  insertion, deletion, modification
and transposition (
it will be two operations in levenshtein edit distance:
one deletion, and one insertion,
).

In spelling checker/corrector, i.e. levenshtein('cta', 'cat') will return 2.
but Levenshtein-Damerau('cta', 'cat') will return 1.
if the maximum error is 1, we can not get 'cat'.

In practice, Levenshtein-Damerau is more widely used than Levenshtein.
I believe you notice "Google automated search suggestions", they use
Levenshtein-Damerau.

Thanks,

Liming

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10727174/dameraulevenshtein-distance-edit-distance-with-transposition-c-implementation.