Re: Memory usage after upgrade to 9.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Memory usage after upgrade to 9.2.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/21/2013 09:29 AM, Daniel Cristian Cruz wrote:

> 2013/4/21 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com
> <mailto:adrian.klaver@gmail.com>>

>     1)
>     Major upgrade from 9.1.4 to 9.2.4.
>     Used pg_upgrade
>     Tested on VM with 9.2.4 and no problems.
>     Same machine used for production server 9.1.4 and 9.2.4
>     When complex queries where run on production server under 9.2.4
>     memory usage climbed out of control.
>
>     Unanswered questions:
>
>     a) Data set sizes between test and production machines, how do they
>     differ?
>

> It's the same on both; we do a dump/restore every day to the development
> / issue team work.

Which begs the question, what is different about your test setup that
makes it not act up?

We know that the test servers are running on VMs with fewer resources
than the production server.

So:

Are the VMs running the same OS and OS version as the production server?

What are 'hardware differences' between the test VMs and the physical
server?

Are the Postgres configurations different for the test vs production
servers?

I would guess the usage pattern is different, but in what way?
    Number of connections/sessions?
    INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE pattern?
    Client software using the database?

>     b) What are the EXPLAIN/ANALYZE results for a query on 9.1.4, 9.2.4
>     test and 9.2.4 production?
> Since there is no single query causing  the problem, I don't know if it could help

For a lack of anything else pick one and try it on the various servers
to see if something stands out.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com