Re: Disallow SET command in a postgresql server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Disallow SET command in a postgresql server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/09/2013 09:06 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Fabio Rueda Carrascosa escribió:
>> My grant/revoke architecture is fine, you mean about costly cpu/ram queries?
>
> Sure.  The SQL dialect supported by Postgres is Turing-complete, so
> people can write statements that consume arbitrary amounts of RAM and
> diskspace, and run for arbitrary amounts of time -- regardless of
> work_mem and other settings.  (Actually, this was true even before the
> dialect got to be Turing-complete).

A simple example that can crush your machine if you aren't careful:

select generate_series(1,1000000000000);

Now run it on 4 connections.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579