Re: By now, why PostgreSQL 9.2 don't support SSDs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Satoshi Nagayasu
Subject Re: By now, why PostgreSQL 9.2 don't support SSDs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2013/03/30 23:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:08:44PM +0800, 赖文豫 wrote:
>> As we know, SSDs are widely used in various kinds of applications. But the SMGR
>> in PostgreSQL still only
>> support magnetic disk. How do we make full use of SSDs to improve the
>> performance of PostgreSQL?
>
> When the storage manager (SMGR) says magnetic disk, it is talking about
> read/write media with random access capabillity, vs. something like
> write-only media, which was originally supported in the code.  Postgres
> works just fine with SSDs;  the only adjustment you might want to make
> is to reduce random_page_cost.

BTW, using the larger block size (>64kB) would improve performance
when using SSD drive?

I found that configure script supports --with-blocksize option to
change the block size up to 32kB. (and the configure script does
not support >64kb block size so far.)

But I heard that larger block size, like 256kB, would take
advantage of the SSD performance because of the block management
within SSD.

So, I'm just curious to know that.

Regards,
--