Re: By now, why PostgreSQL 9.2 don't support SSDs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: By now, why PostgreSQL 9.2 don't support SSDs?
Date
Re: By now, why PostgreSQL 9.2 don't support SSDs?  (Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@uptime.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:08:44PM +0800, 赖文豫 wrote:
> As we know, SSDs are widely used in various kinds of applications. But the SMGR
> in PostgreSQL still only
> support magnetic disk. How do we make full use of SSDs to improve the
> performance of PostgreSQL?

When the storage manager (SMGR) says magnetic disk, it is talking about
read/write media with random access capabillity, vs. something like
write-only media, which was originally supported in the code.  Postgres
works just fine with SSDs;  the only adjustment you might want to make
is to reduce random_page_cost.

http://enterprisedb.com