Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add parallel pg_dump option. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add parallel pg_dump option.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/29/2013 03:12 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 03:39:44PM +0000, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Add parallel pg_dump option.
> This is great!
>
> While testing, I noticed that the only supported -F option when -j is
> specified is directory, which is fine as far as it goes, but I think
> it would be easier on users if there were some default like ./pg_dump
> when -j is specified.  It could of course be overridden by -Fd.
>
> What say?

What you really want is to supply a default for --file in this case. It
would seem very odd to do so when --jobs is specified but not when it
isn't. You already need to specify a --file value when
--format=directory is in use, and the addition of --jobs has not changed
that; neither has the fact that --jobs requires --format=directory to be
specified. Given that, this can be seen as a feature request that could
be considered for 9.4 (although I'd be skeptical, TBH), but it surely
isn't something that's broken and needs to be fixed, and we're long past
the point where we should be adding new design for 9.3.

cheers

andrew