Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/21/13 10:39 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I think adding new syntax change is little scary for me, not for the matter
> of implementation but for building consensus on syntax.
> Can we do it as an enhancement later?

Yeah, I think the basics of this could be committed, but have later
improvements that let you fine-tune when the reload happens better.

> Other ways could be to either give Notice after each command or mention the
> same in documentation clearly.
> I feel giving Notice after every command doesn't look good, so may be we can
> mention the same in documentation.

I think that NOTICE after every command is the only way we'll make sure
to catch every user who should be notified about the feature's limitation.

I was thinking of something like this:

NOTICE:  New configuration is written but not applied yet.  Signal the
server to reload settings using pg_reload_conf to activate the change.

Maybe that's a NOTICE plus a HINT.