Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> On 3/21/13 10:39 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> I feel giving Notice after every command doesn't look good, so may be we can
>> mention the same in documentation.

> I think that NOTICE after every command is the only way we'll make sure
> to catch every user who should be notified about the feature's limitation.

We have been around on that type of proposal before.  A command that
issues a NOTICE as part of its *standard* behavior is really not going
to fly; the annoyance, talking-down-to-the-user factor is too high.

IOW, if you think the command needs that, then its design is broken
and you need to do better.