Re: Fast Shutdown (SIGINT) results in a CHECKPOINT... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Fast Shutdown (SIGINT) results in a CHECKPOINT...
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/20/13 4:28 PM, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> For a while now I've known that sending a SIGINT can trigger a CHECKPOINT, but I don't know if this is intentional or
abug.

It's intentional.  If you don't want that, use SIGQUIT.  That's how they
are different.

Of course, when using SIGQUIT, you will have to spend the time you saved
on the checkpoint for the recovery at startup.  So you have to put in
the time either way.

It is not unheard of that a shutdown can take minutes.  That's why the
-t option was added to pg_ctl some time ago.