Re: Video storage in Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bob Zurek
Subject Re: Video storage in Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
My understanding is that YouTube is using MySQL is that correct?

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Robert Treat
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 10:20 AM
To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
Cc: Lukas Kahwe Smith; JoshuaKramer
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Video storage in Postgres?

On Friday 17 August 2007 01:58, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> JoshuaKramer wrote:
> > In all seriousness, what advantages accrue by serving video from the
DB?

> Well all the advantages people associate with LOBs:
> - single place for all data
>   * for backups
>   * for replication
>   * for ACLs
>
> I often just care about the first two, in which case I simply employ a
> mod_rewrite rule, that points to the on disc version of the file and
> fals back to serving directly from the database (but also dump a file
> the proper location on disc).

Don't forget about ACID garauntees. When inserting video into a db, you
have
the garauntee that if something goes wrong the meta-data rolls back and
your
in a complete state. When keeping video on the fs, if an error occures
when
writing the file, you have to have some application code to ensure that
everything in the db cleans up appropriatly. This is not impossible, but

letting the db do it for you is certainly easier.

That said, most video sites end up employing some type of cacheing
system to
get video's sent around (think akami), so it becomes moot to force
everything
into the db, since they aren't going to serve all that video from the db

anyway.

--
Robert Treat

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate