Re: A new JDBC driver... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From dmp
Subject Re: A new JDBC driver...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> It does sound very nice, thanks very much for the effort!
>
> I didn't look at the code, but one thing I noticed when trying the
> driver is that it requires a bunch of other libraries which is highly
> unusual in the JDBC "world". Usually the JDBC driver jar is self contained.
>
> When I tried it with my SQL tool (SQL Workbench/J) I got the following
> exception when connecting:
>

> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> com.impossibl.postgres.protocol.v30.ProtocolImpl.sendStartup(ProtocolImpl.java:168)
>
> at
> com.impossibl.postgres.protocol.v30.StartupCommandImpl.execute(StartupCommandImpl.java:107)
>
> at
> com.impossibl.postgres.protocol.v30.ProtocolImpl.execute(ProtocolImpl.java:139)
>
> at com.impossibl.postgres.system.BasicContext.start(BasicContext.java:151)
> at com.impossibl.postgres.system.BasicContext.init(BasicContext.java:110)
> at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PSQLDriver.connect(PSQLDriver.java:56)
> at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PSQLDriver.connect(PSQLDriver.java:22)
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Recently I integrated an additional Database, Apache Derby, into my database
access tool. Derby required three different jars to be used for JDBC support.
I really don't like having to pile lots of libraries into my application in
order to get it to work.

If the trial that Thomas performed and my own looking at the code seems to
indicate the code is incomplete and non-functional. Perhaps it could become
a replacement for the current JDBC, but that may not be for some time.
PostgreSQL is becoming mainstream and I would like to see additional
support to keep the pgJDBC up to date, but branching seems unproductive to
keeping a stable Driver in place. Integration seems more appropriate.

danap.