Re: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Jeremy Whiting
Subject Re: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 01/03/13 04:51, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 02/26/2013 09:15 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  I have seen there have been conversations about the returned value from
>> executeUpdate when using partitioned tables. This thread places the
>> issue in the postgres-server court:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/013901c5fad9$1c18c600$ca78a8c0@yawin.yesasia.com
>>
>>  and another coversation on the pgsql-bugs mailing list that seems to
>> bat the problem back at the pgjdbc driver :)
> Really? I either didn't see that thread or forgot it. Link?
 Sorry for the delay. Tracked down the email thread and I think I have
my facts sightly wrong regarding who said what. The thread was initially
raised in the context of using Hibernate. Hibernate was reporting a problem.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/000801cd9b5a$12717600$37546200$@radiantblue.com

 Though the cause of the error was attributed to Hibernate by Jaime.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJKUy5i6_pxNmvzu+JTXaoWy3eEynNFdrOnGdNPPoh1XbeZmQA@mail.gmail.com

> I don't see how PgJDBC can return rowcounts when trigger-based
> partitioning doesn't produce them.
 So any sanity checks by Hibernate will result in an assertion failure.