Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> = Directory vs. single file =
>
> The main reason I've advocated a configuration file directory is to try
> and suggest a standard for tool generated config files to co-exist in.
> This particular feature doesn't *need* that.  But in the long term I was
> hoping to have more tools that can write out .conf files without having
> to read and understand every existing file that's in there.  It doesn't
> make that big of a difference whether this particular one lives in
> $PGDATA/postgresql.auto.conf or $PGDATA/postgresql.auto.conf.  The main
> reason for the directory is to make the second such tool not further
> clutter the main $PGDATA directory.
>
> I would like to see the name of the directory be conf.d instead of
> auto.conf.d though.  What's "auto" about it?  Using that word just adds
> a source of confusion.  The same problem exists with the file name
> itself.  I was hoping for conf.d/persistent.conf here, and no use of the
> word "auto" in the code itself.

my $0.03: I agree with Greg that using the directory is a good idea, and
that his naming is an improvement.

> What I don't see a lot of value in is the config file per setting idea.
>  I was hoping SET PERSISTENT put all of its changes into once place. It
> should be obvious where they came from, and that people can't edit that
> file manually without breaking the feature.  To me something like
> persistent.conf gives that impression, while postgresql.auto.conf sounds
> like the output from some auto-tuning tool.

I think most users would prefer a single file.  The reason
file-per-setting is being discussed is that it avoids a lot of locking
issues and code complexity.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.