Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I would like to see the name of the directory be conf.d instead of
>> auto.conf.d though.  What's "auto" about it?  Using that word just adds
>> a source of confusion.  The same problem exists with the file name
>> itself.  I was hoping for conf.d/persistent.conf here, and no use of the
>> word "auto" in the code itself.

> my $0.03: I agree with Greg that using the directory is a good idea, and
> that his naming is an improvement.

Neither of those names is consistent with any other PGDATA subdirectory
name we use.  It should just be config, or perhaps pg_config, though the
latter risks confusion with the tool of the same name.

FWIW, I do think that having "auto" or some such in the file name(s)
would be a good idea, to help warn people off editing them manually.