Re: initdb ignoring options due to bash environment on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: initdb ignoring options due to bash environment on OS X
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/26/13 9:18 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> $ otool -L `which initdb`
> /Users/gsmith/pgwork/inst/latest/bin/initdb:
>      /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 159.1.0)

Two last bits of trivia and I'll stop talking to myself.  You can get
the full list of things this dynamic library then links to like this:

$ otool -lTv /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib | grep "(offset"         name /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (offset 24)
name/usr/lib/system/libcache.dylib (offset 24)         name /usr/lib/system/libcommonCrypto.dylib (offset 24) ...

There's a bit more information about all the libraries squashed into
this one on OS X at
http://0xfe.blogspot.com/2006/03/qa-how-os-x-executes-applications.html

It is also worth nothing that otool is part of the developer tools for
OS X, not the base system.  Features like DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES look like
they work on any system though.