Re: initdb ignoring options? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: initdb ignoring options?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/26/13 6:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
>> $ initdb --help
>> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "gsmith".
>
> Hm.  Works as expected for me.  What platform is this exactly?

The broken one is OS X Lion 10.7.5, main build toolchain provided by
Apple's development tools, and Homebrew used to install the missing
libraries (zlib etc.)  I had been beating my head against the wall
asking why initdb didn't work for so long today, I didn't even think
this could be a platform specific issue.  I don't have any other OS X
version installed here to test if this is specific to Lion or not.

The working 9.1 install wasn't exactly the same OS, and now that I match
that up perfectly it's also broken too.  So whatever is going wrong
isn't specific to 9.2+ at all; that was my bad.  I attached a config.log
from the latest 9.3 build if that helps anyone.

On a tangent to this, making this more difficult is that there is
something else weird about 9.2 on this Mac not defaulting to a small
enough block of shared memory too:

DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=2072576, 03600).
HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space, or exceeded your
kernel's SHMALL parameter.  You can either reduce the request size or
reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMALL.  To reduce the request size
(currently 2072576 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared memory usage,
perhaps by reducing shared_buffers or max_connections.

That one doesn't show up in 9.1, and it's gone in 9.3, presumably due to
the larger shared memory allocation changes there.  I can chase that
problem down on my own.  The initdb thing left me grasping because I
don't know as much as I'd like about autoconf or command line processing
trivia.

Attachment