Re: pg_xlogdump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_xlogdump
Date
Re: pg_xlogdump  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/26/13 11:45 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> But let's not break the cases that do work.  One
> of the functions of contrib/ is to serve as models/skeletons for
> external modules.  If we pull out the "useless" PGXS support then we'll
> just be making it that much harder to copy a contrib module and start
> doing something useful.

Well, this is exactly the problem.  Because of this skeleton idea, most
external extension modules do not build unless you set USE_PGXS=1 before
building, because they think that they live in contrib by default, which
is completely bizarre and user-unfriendly.

We could have an actual example or skeleton whose purpose is to teach
extension authors.  The actual contrib module makefiles should just do
their job and don't pretend to teach things that are misguided and/or
don't work.