Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2/19/13 10:22 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Typical complaint:
>> http://costela.net/2009/12/notes-on-the-google-chrome-debian-package/
>
> Yes, they do a number of things you're not "supposed to do" on debian.
> Our packages are actually *very* well behaved on debian and ubuntu,
> and that is a property we should work hard to keep. That doesn't mean
> we can't improve the installation experience, of course.

That was the main thing I thought was being talked past.  Some people
look at the ease of use of a PPA or the Debian Chrome installer and
think "why isn't PostgreSQL this easy?"  It could be, and if Martin is
willing to pull some more infrastructure into postgresql-common that
would make things a lot smoother.

The reasons why a really simple UI wasn't the first target for something
worth shipping are hard to understand.  You need to have spent a good
bit of time packaging for Debian to appreciate why the Chrome install
smells funny to some.  I just barely get it myself.  You can't really
nail a PPA style release and something that makes all the Debian admins
happy at the same time.  There's a deep and not obvious disconnect
between the goals of each type of packaging.  I read "We should not
transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA" as being like "we
shouldn't release the apple juice until we have the perfect oranges".
All important things, but they're not the same target.