Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2013-02-19 16:53:30 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Andres Freund [2013-02-18 21:52 +0100]:
> > The PPA:
> > - only supported a few versions of pg, not all supported ones
>
> Right, only those which were supported in any Ubuntu release. E. g.
> 9.0 has never been in any Ubuntu release, thus there's nothing to
> backport them from.
>
> > - regularly dropped releases while they were still supported by PGDG
>
> To be fair, I only drop packages for obsolete Ubuntu releases. And
> after people have yelled loud enough, I even put them back.

> > All that is understandable, its a lot of work, but it really sucks if
> > you use pg productively and suddently no updates are available anymore
> > for the version youre using.
>
> If you run a production server on an EOLed Ubuntu release, you
> shouldn't complain. You are not going to get any security update any
> more, so staying at a slightly outdated PostgreSQL version is really
> not making much of a difference.

I am pretty sure you had some versions (e.g. 9.0) in your ppa for some
time, and dropped them afterwards, probably for the above reason that it
was never in a stable release.

Just to make that very, very clear: I am not blaming you for
anything. To the contrary. Your PPA is/was great, and the effort is
very, very much appreciated. Its just that apt.pg.o promises and
hopefully delivers more.

Greetings,

Andres Freund