Re: Blown Index? Corrupted Table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Blown Index? Corrupted Table?
Date
List pgsql-general
Adam Haberlach <adam@newsnipple.com> writes:
> I've been getting this on and off in my vaccums.  Once it happens, the only way to
> make it go away seems to be a dump/restore.  Is this bad, Bad, or BAD?

> NOTICE:  FlushRelationBuffers(rawbebugs, 4400): block 287 is referenced (private 0, global 1)
> FATAL 1:  VACUUM (vc_repair_frag): FlushRelationBuffers returned -2

It's just in the "annoyance" category: to clear the condition you need
to stop and restart the postmaster.  No dump/reload or anything like
that, you just want it to reset shared memory.

The most likely cause of this problem is a backend exiting from an
open transaction without doing AbortTransaction processing.  7.0.*
has a bug that a client disconnect without closing a transaction block
will result in that happening.  I posted a patch for it on the patches
list a few weeks ago, or you could pull the current REL7_0_PATCHES
branch (7.0.3-to-be) from the CVS server.

            regards, tom lane